OUR IMAGES

VEGGIES 2012

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: VEGGIES 2012

Post by Joy on Thu 03 May 2012, 9:14 pm

The greenhouse is looking good, BigBilly. It will be a wonderful addition to your garden when it is finished. The paths look very boggy, almost ankle-deep in mud. :lol3: When does the mulch go down??

The potatoes look really healthy. It is strange how some are much bigger than the others. Guess this is just how plants are though, isn't it??

Thank you for showing us how your veggie garden & greenhouse are coming along, BB.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 05 May 2012, 1:46 am

Looking good BBilly.

I want son to build me a green house. Could you tell me what all you have in the way of materials needed?

Post by Guest on Sat 05 May 2012, 5:23 am

Glad the greenhouse that we have built is a very old galvanized metal one that was a manufactured and someone wanted to get rid of so we had to go and take it down and bring it home. It had a lot of the glass broken so we used 6mil polycarbonate sheet to cover the roof.

I am no expert Glad but i would have thought that your son could build you a greenhouse of timber frame and polycarbonate.
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 05 May 2012, 5:54 am

Knowing my son he probably could. I was looking an the frame of yours. I have an idea about a design. Don't need a large area.

Post by Guest on Mon 07 May 2012, 8:30 pm

Radish and Carrot growing well in polystyrene boxes.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 07 May 2012, 9:01 pm

The radishes & carrots look very healthy & vigorous, BigBilly. What a great way of growing them early in the season. The polystyrene boxes are very handy for the gardener, aren't they??

Did not realise that radishes have much of their "bulb" or "tuber" (not sure what it is called :lol3: ) growing above the ground.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 07 May 2012, 9:58 pm

All looking really good BB ! lots of work in those pics. Gee whiz you have been having loads of rain !
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 08 May 2012, 8:52 am

Very nice BBilly. I can't wait to have my first garden carrot.

We had light rain today enough won't have to water this night.

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

A rather rare but very welcome visitor to the veggie garden, a Hedgehog, they love slugs and snails and we are overun with these pests in this wet season.

Post by Guest on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm

At least the cucumbers are doing quite well in the coservatory.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 2:42 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:A rather rare but very welcome visitor to the veggie garden, a Hedgehog, they love slugs and snails and we are overun with these pests in this wet season.

What a wonderful garden visitor you have there, BigBilly. They are very welcome, indeed. So sorry to hear they are rather rare now. These very beneficial animals were introduced into New Zealand & were, unfortunately, a fairly common flattened roadkill sight. Preferred to see them in the garden. Do not think they were introduced to Australia.

Thanks for posting this great image of this lovely creature.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 2:46 pm

BIGBILLY21 wrote:
    At least the cucumbers are doing quite well in the coservatory.

They sure are doing great, BigBilly. These are my favourite cucumbers. In our stores the long ones are known as telegraph cucumbers & the smaller ones are called Lebanese cucumbers. Cost a pretty penny, too.

Your conservatory is worth its weight in gold, that is for sure.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 22 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

I *love* your hedgehog BB , we had two living in a hole under our kitchen window when we lived on a farm in England once. They only used to come out at night,so we only ever saw them by torchlight. We had a job keeping the dog away from them, he never used to harm them but he used to arrest them by barking forever while standing over them. They would curl up like a ball until he tired of them or we pulled him
    off them :) It is good to see how big your cucumbers have grown. Also I spy the tomatoes :) :good: Can you remember I planted a second crop of tomatoes late. The bushes are full of fruit and some are starting to ripen we have eaten one so far. I am surprised that they did anything in this cold they are out in the full open :bye:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm

Interesting pictures. Those cukes look great and the hedgehog looks cute!

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

Its been a very average year this year in the veggie garden, but very grateful for what we are getting as the price in the shops are sky high.

Cauliflower. poor

Broad beans. Average.

Beetroot. Good

Lettuce. very good.

Runner bean. Good

Sweetcorn. Doesn't look good.

Tomatoes. Average.

Strawberries. Average.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:47 pm

That is a shame, BigBilly. So pleased for you that, at least, some of your veggie garden has done reasonably well. The plants that haven't thrived would be a disappointment for you, as you do put in a lot of work to help make everything in your garden grow well. The weather is something no one has control over, do they??

Do hope you have a better autumn & are able to grow some more produce. By the way the strawberries look delicious.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date with what is happening (or not) in your garden. :D

Post by Guest on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 am

Some of the veggies are still ok, but the squash and courgette have gone.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:41 am

The cucurbit family is rather frost sensitive, aren't they BigBilly?? This is a shame as many of them, such as pumpkins & squash, are those we think of as autumn veggies.

Your tomatoes & leeks(?) are looking great though, which must be heartening to you, BB.

Actually, I had forgotten just what frost could do to some plants. It is sad to see them like this but, I guess, it is just part of their natural cycle & they are annuals, aren't they?? Thank you for posting these pics. :)

Post by Guest on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:15 pm

Yes joy they are leeks ,one of our favorite veggies especially as the stand outside all through the winter
    The cucurbits are always the first to go in a frost together with sweet corn and runner beans

Spinach and carrots are also doing well and should be ok through the winter and we still have some lettuce
    and spring onions hanging in there.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 8:50 pm

It all sounds very good, BigBilly, for your winter garden. Do hope you had some squash to store for later. Never realised that spinach was so hardy, but it would be handy to have that nutritious vegetable available throughout winter along with your leeks & carrots. The thoughts of nice, warming soup come to mind. :D

Another thing, BB, is that you also have the fresh ingredients for a lovely salad with the lettuce, spring onions & tomatoes. Ideal for lunch on a sunny autumn day. If one comes along that is. :lol3:

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 2:59 am

Some of the winter veggies.
    LEEKS

CARROTS

BROAD BEANS

SPRING CABBAGE

PURPLE SPROUTING BROCCOLI AND WINTER CAULIFLOWERS

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 3:31 am; edited 3 times in total

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 3:10 am

KALE

CHARD AND PERPETUAL SPINACH
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 10:08 am

Things are looking great for winter in your veggie garden, BigBilly. You have plenty of thriving nutritious veggies there, especially of the leafy green variety. They will all, most certainly, go down very well with your winter fare. Leeks for soups or with a white &/or cheese sauce would be very tasty. Yummy. :D

Many thanks for posting these pics, BB.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 5:19 pm

All looking good Billy! :good: you have a nice mix of green vegtables in the ground. :cool3:

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Dec 2012, 10:16 pm

The indoor salad garden. Curled cress.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 26 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm

Mmm yum looks very good BB. I love cress. :)

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:41 am