OUR IMAGES

VEGGIES 2012

default VEGGIES 2012

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

Made an effort to get started for the new veggie season two days ago by sowing 80 broad beans in cell trays in the propagator but disaster !!! :grr:
    The mice cleared half of them overnight, so I'm afraid its war on mice now, traps and bait till I get rid of the little perishers.
    Hope to resow today.
    Dawn

default Re: VEGGIES 2012

Post by Dawn on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 5:40 pm

Oh NO BB how awful! the little blighters :sorry2: to hear this! I can bet how cross and disappointed you must have felt! Can be so discouraging too! Anyhow best wishes on the resowing today of them today :luck: .

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 9:09 pm

Oh no, BigBilly!! :aargh: Rotten little thieves!! :whack!: :whack!: :whack!: They probably thought you had laid out an all-you-can-eat smorgsabord especially for them. :lol3:

Do hope they can be kept from devouring the next sowing. Good luck with that.

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:32 am

Have replanted and so far so good.

My home made propagator

Beans in their beds.

Cover down and safe , I hope!!!
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 4:19 am

"Cover down and safe , I hope!!!"

Yes I hope so too :luck: BB. You look very organised there !. I look forward to seeing them progress. Hopefully the little blighter's are under control.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 5:42 am

What a great set-up you have there, BigBilly!! Hopefully, it will deter the rotten little critters & keep your broad beans, as well as other seeds, safe, snug & warm. Shall be watching this with much interest. :good:

Post by Guest on Sat 21 Jan 2012, 9:02 am

Hi Billy! I'm new here on APG. Your set up is very impressive! I am a novice, so it's okay to start your seedlings now? When will they be planted outside? Lots of questions, but I am keen to learn :smile: Thanks!

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:50 am

Looks as if i might have solved the mouse problem. The second sowing of broad beans are up. Have moved them out of the propagator to a cooler area for a while
    before planting out in the garden, as long as we don't get too much frost and snow.

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:02 am

JooJooBed wrote:Hi Billy! I'm new here on APG. Your set up is very impressive! I am a novice, so it's okay to start your seedlings now? When will they be planted outside? Lots of questions, but I am keen to learn :smile: Thanks!

Hi jooJoo, welcome to this great site, I'm sure you will get plenty of help here, and don't forget we all started as novices.

Yes i start some of my seedlings now to try and get an early start, doesn't always work ,but if you don't try you will never know if it works.
    I will be sowing mainly Broad beans and Sugar snap peas now. But sowed some Radish and early Carrots in poly boxes in the conservatory where i keep the temp, above freezing. Will go and get a picture.

Last edited by BIGBILLY21 on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:16 am

The poly boxes, one of radish & one of carrots. Fingers crossed now

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:42 am

Really sorry to hear about your little mice problem all that work :grr: But it looks as if you have it under control now.

Your set up is awesome and will be looking forward to watching everything grow. :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:47 am

BIGBILLY21 wrote:Looks as if i might have solved the mouse problem. The second sowing of broad beans are up. Have moved them out of the propagator to a cooler area for a while
    before planting out in the garden, as long as we don't get too much frost and snow.

My word, BigBilly, that did't take long, did it??? Legumes sprout so quickly don't they?? That is great for impatient gardeners such as young children & me. :lol:

So glad to see they are doing so well. too. :D

Post by Guest on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:43 am

My son's free greenhouse is taking shape.

The new veggie beds are in now, paths to do next.

First pickings, Rhubarb.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

My word, you have been busy, BigBilly!!! That is a great deal of work you have put into your veggie garden. It is looking good. Rhubarb already, too. :D

Is that a hedge, over on the right, beside your house?? If so, is it dead or is it just waiting to green up?? Pardon the silly questions but we, down here in Oz, are not used to seeing trees, etc, without foliage. :lol:

Post by Guest on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:16 am

Thanks for your comments Joy, yes we have been a bit busy, and the old bones don't move as easy as they used to but we are getting there slowly and it should make things easier.
    The brown hedge you can see in the picture is Beech that retains its dead leaves
    all winter until the new ones come in spring. Nice bit of colour in winter and also good for the birds to hide in if there is a predator about... Gives us a bit of privacy from the road too.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

Think your "old bones" are doing extremely well, BigBilly. :D Much better than mine. Did not know that happened with beech, BB. That indeed would be handy for the birds as well as your privacy. So the leaves do not drop until the new spring growth occurs?? You can tell we do not know much about deciduous trees. Even New Zealand's native beech is an evergreen. :lol3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

All looking very good in your garden BB!. That greenhouse is a nice size, a fantastic gift, they are quite dear to buy if I remember correctly. I am sure you will have lots of fun, growing loads of different things.

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 8:33 pm

Some of the current veggies from the garden we are eating.
    Purple sprouting broccoli.

White sprouting broccoli.

Spring cabbage.

Spinach.

Leeks.

Last of the parsnips.

The new seasons sugar snap peas are growing.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:07 am

That is fantastic, BigBilly. The occasional sudden cold snap, such as snow & frost, doesn't seem to have troubled these veggies at all. They will keep you both very healthy, that is for sure. Store bought ones are so expensive these days, aren't they??

Have never seen purple or white broccoli before. Do they taste the same as the green stuff, BB??

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 5:32 pm

Most of the veg that we over winter will stand a fair amount of frost and cold Joy, and they fill the so called "hungry gap" at this time of the year. Bit annoyed with myself over the carrots as we dug the last a fortnight ago, so must grow more this year.

I think the white and purple sprouting broccoli has a better flavour than the green and also stands the cold better.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 7:33 am

Your carrots were pretty popular, eh, BigBilly. :D It does sound as though you need a few more rows of them. Thought broccoli just tasted like, well, broccoli so it is good to hear that the purple & white have a better flavour.

Is sprouting broccoli different from regular broccoli,BB?? Does being able to withstand freezing temps make certain veggies taste more flavoursome??? I do know that some frost makes oranges sweeter. More questions, BB. :lol3:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 1:34 pm

Purple broccoli? Very interesting!

I planted a couple of white egg plant this year but they are doing very well. May have been to hot for them.

Post by Guest on Wed 02 May 2012, 4:54 pm

You have been busy, BigBilly. I've never heard of purple broccoli. Hmm...might have to just check that out. I love seeing the little sprouts come up.

Post by Guest on Thu 03 May 2012, 8:55 pm

The greenhouse is nearly finished, but everywhere is a mud heap with all the rain

Potatoes are coming through
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 May 2012, 9:14 pm

The greenhouse is looking good, BigBilly. It will be a wonderful addition to your garden when it is finished. The paths look very boggy, almost ankle-deep in mud. :lol3: When does the mulch go down??

The potatoes look really healthy. It is strange how some are much bigger than the others. Guess this is just how plants are though, isn't it??

Thank you for showing us how your veggie garden & greenhouse are coming along, BB.

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm