Dawn

default Re: My Orchids

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 7:27 pm

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 9:01 pm

These are gorgeous, Dawn. :love: So many beautiful flowers!! :apgch: They are exquisite. :dance3:

Wonderful images, too!! The macro shot is great!! :photos:

About the perfume, isn't vanilla a member of the orchid family?? Imagine what that flower would smell like. :whistle: :cool2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 9:39 pm

Thanks for the photo compliments Joy! It is the trusty old Fugi again. I am trying not to revert back to it too much but hey just can't help it sometimes !!
    :whistle:

No Unfortunately the fragrans isn't like vanilla I wish it were, though, I do love that smell. I can't put my finger on it yet, it is powdery, so it's soft but strong if that makes sense. It has a fragrans I have smelt in mixed pot pouri before I think, I am still trying to work it out. It's not rose. I am sure of that !! when I get it I will let you know what I think. I keep going back and having a whiff :smile:

I am cooking a curry at the moment and that isnt helping my nose buds :lol!:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 10:01 pm

Guess curry would do that to your nose buds. :lol!: At least it will blow your cold clear out of the water, though. :lol2: :whistle:

PS Love your new avatar. It looks like an Illawarra flame tree. Is it?? If not it is very similar. :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 10:41 pm

I just googled Illawarra flame tree , never seen one before , they are beautiful :love:. No Joy! it is a Coral tree flower or Ethrynia tree. It is the tree I have my bird feeders hanging in it is supposed to flower, but in 4 yrs I have not had a single flower. I took that image from my Robertson album when we were there that weekend. I have see others in the area are flowering and they are smaller than mine, soooo I am hoping this year I am going to get some?. But I don't think so somehow. This year is the first year for it to lose all its leaves as it is supposed to, they are very sensitive to climate. Very hardy trees but sensitive to heat and cold apparently. that is what I have been told ??
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 9:17 am

Oh yes, there are plenty of those growing around here, also. Probably more than the Aussie native. :whistle: They do look very similar to the flame tree as they both lose their leaves. The Illawarra flame tree is the only native Aussie tree that is deciduous.

Do hope your tree will flower soon, Dawn but they do look pretty when their leaves come, too. :love:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 10:06 am

Joy this is a link to the exact tree I have. I didn't realise there were so many different Erythrina , until I look them up just now! :O :smile:

Erythrina Lysistemon
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 05 Sep 2010, 10:13 am

My word, that is one very useful tree, Dawn, as well as being very decorative. :good: :smile:

Just don't chew the beans. :sick2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 1:25 am

:sick2: Yeah no won't do. That is if I ever get any at this rate :bye:

Last edited by Dawn on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 10:02 am

:lol2:

If your tree has, finally, lost all of its leaves, Dawn, then, maybe, it will flower this spring. Who knows, eh. :whistle:

Perhaps we can use a bit of positive thinking to will it into flowering. Or even try some Zen. ;)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 6:21 pm

I don't think so Joy! as it is supposed to flower before the new leaves arrive and all the branches have already got new budding leaves :huh2: but I suppose it could still happen maybe, not sure if it remains a hard and fast rule with this tree, but that is what I understand it is supposed to do? It's just that I want to see my tree flower for the first time! that would be so :coolsign:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 06 Sep 2010, 9:08 pm

It sure would be, Dawn. :luck:

I wonder whether the tree needs a really good talking to. :angry: :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 3:51 pm

Earlier on in this thread I mentioned about the pink Phaleanopsis that was knocked over and had been deteriating somewhat. It never flowered when the other one did. But look at what I came back to . There are eight !

Last edited by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 3:53 pm

You can see the leaves are very soft and spongie. I think a repot when it has finished flowering.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 4:00 pm

:apgw: :coolsign: Wow!!! They are magnificent, Dawn!! :love: Simply gorgeous. :bravo: Look what a bit of "neglect" can do. Though I am sure DH didn't really neglect your prized plants while you were away, did he. This would have been a wonderful surprise. :apgch: :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 4:25 pm

Thanks Joy! No he didnt neglect them at all he was very careful to water these every week for him. This one was the one I knocked over a while back in error when I moved furniture around and it set it back at lot. So I was very surprised to see it flower now. When it didn't flower at the same time the beige centred one did I thought it was not going to at all. This is the most flowers on one plant I have had from any of my Phals since getting them.

There was only one thing I lost while I was away and that was the New Guinea impatience which I bought just before I left. The miniature rose suffered some dry spells but still have signs of life there. Not bad for 4 weeks away. for DH.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 8:53 pm

Are you sure the New Guinea impatiens has been lost, Dawn?? :whistle: :lol: If it was crispy brown then that would be a sure sign but I have tossed these plants before thinking they were dead only to realise, later, that they weren't. Still have one of ours which has survived all sorts of neglect & it is flowering non-stop. I know they need heaps of water but do rebound quickly after a watering.

Hope my phalaenopsis does half as well as yours. It needs repotting real soon, too.

Last edited by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 3:21 am

Yes Joy, it was totally crisp and brown beyond redemption It was in the corner so I think it was erroneously overlooked.

Your Phal is going to do more than you realise. You have much better weather than us I am sure. I am sure you also realise the only real enemy is over-watering and lack of gentle air movement. I would not repot too soon , but having said that your way is the best ! Remember! that saying

Last edited by Dawn on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 7:27 am

Poor, poor New Guinea impatiens. :sad:

Do hope our phalaenopsis will do ok. It looks fine at the moment. The care tag said to repot in the spring after the flowers have finished though it looks as though it will be summer by the time I get round to doing it. :roll:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 8:18 pm

Dawn wrote:

Thanks Joy! I love it when they flower. Here is a photo of a terrestrial orchid I have. It flowered earlier this year. I still do not know what it is called??

I just found the name of this orchid it is a Dendrobium Kingianum
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 9:30 pm

That is terrific, Dawn!!! :cool: For you to be able to put a name to this lovely orchid would be such a thrill. :excited: :cool3: :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 10:02 pm

Yes isnt it great Joy! I did look under this name once but don't think they had any images for it ??? and when I googled images for this name previously never saw anything like my orchid ! so I am feeling quite glad about that.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm

The images in Google have improved so much, especially the Images which are available up on the top left of the page just under the Toolbar. That is the one I go for. Sometimes I find stuff from my Picasa web albums. :whistle: :blush:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 30 Nov 2010, 10:50 pm

Yes isnt it wonderful Joy! I have found you there too!!! I say to myself hah ah I know that person
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 01 Dec 2010, 8:41 am

:donald: I tend to forget there may be someone out there, in cyberland, that ACTUALLY knows me, Dawn. :whistle: Sometimes there are images from my so-called "blog" appear in Images or in the Google pages. Have even found APG in the first or second page when I've Googled a plant of mine. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 01 Dec 2010, 8:36 pm

That is great to know that people can find them to get the enjoyment of them and that you are reaching the search pages.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:48 am