OUR IMAGES

My Orchids

Dawn

default Re: My Orchids

Post by Dawn on Sat 22 May 2010, 6:00 pm

Thanks Joy! yes some more little buds popped up, and the flower is from the second original existing bud.
    I think you remember my other two Phaleanopsis ( smaller variety) well I still have them but they have not flowered, yet they could still flower, but they are more erratic than the dendrobiums at flowering they need to reach certain conditions and this year nothing, but I have had those coming up for nearly 4 yrs now and this is the first season for them not to give any buds. Last years ones were not great but I did get some flowers.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 22 May 2010, 9:04 pm

Aaaaaaaaah, orchids do have a certain reputation for being temperamental, don't they Dawn?? This is one reason, apart from the lack of room, that I haven't been game to try to grow them. :apgn: From what I can see, your orchids do very well & so they should, with all the TLC you give them. :D :cool:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 23 May 2010, 4:37 pm

Well what do you know, just seen a little weeny flower spike starting on one of the small Phaleanopsis.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 23 May 2010, 4:59 pm

:apgw: :smile: Good stuff, Dawn!! :excited:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 9:04 pm

The Phaleanopsis new flower spike I spoke of. The reason I never saw it earlier is because when they start out it is hard to distinguish whether or not it is just a root growing, as the one growing out the back is a root. SO just thought it was another root, the roots are growing out all over the place, but I have been told not to worrry about that as they like doing this and just to leave it ?
    Excuse the old flower spikes that have not been cut off yet. ( these should have been done) I like to put antifungal on any trimming I do but I am searching still for the packet of stuff I use it has gone awol. SO I had decided not to cut yet. It doesn't seemed to have worried it at all as it is getting these new orchids

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 9:10 pm

Some Images of the two dendrobiums in flower at the moment.

A close up

I do not support these orchids as they say one sholud do as these are very light and they do not tipple the pot over which is the main reason they support them. I also think they look more natural this way.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 01 Jun 2010, 9:27 pm

The dendrobiums do look gorgeous hanging naturally, Dawn. Love their stunning colour. It is beautiful. As it seems as though still having the old flower spikes is not stopping the plant from growing a new flower spike, it would probably be wisest for you to wait to cut the old stems off when you have found the antifungal stuff. Best to be on the safe side, eh?? Especially as this course of action has kept your orchids healthy. How many orchids do you have now??

Hearty congratulations on your new Phaleanopsis flower spike. :apgw: :cool3: :cool: :excited:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 3:47 pm

Thank you Joy! . . I have two small Phaleanopsis, and one large one, and three Dendrobiums. So that is six altogether.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 3:48 pm

Oops I forgot to mention the Sobralia Orchids there are two of them.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 4:21 pm

That is quite a collection you have Dawn. :apgch: That should make you an orchid expert by now, especially as yours do seem to do very well. :cheers: ;)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 8:16 pm

No not , expert I wish that is very kind of you though . I think the success of my ones flowering is the constant temp. They really like it in the spot they are in, and that seems to be what they all say about reflowering temp temp temp .
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 8:56 pm

Well, whatever the secret is, Dawn, you sure do have it, the way your orchids keep on flowering. :dance3: :dance2: :good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 8:20 am

Thank you
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 11:25 am

:good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:48 am

I have a new addition to my little Orchid family. It is a Cattleya, I indulged myself on a visit to the nursery a week ago. I have to admit, I have always wanted a Cattleya orchid but just have never seen them for sale only one a friend of mine has. I believe from what I have heard that they are an easy care orchid, around these parts in any case.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:49 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:50 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:50 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:52 am

It was very pricey but I promise to look after it for ever
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 8:30 am

What an absolutely beautiful orchid, Down. :love: It is such a lovely shade of colour. :photos: It looks to be worth every penny you paid for it, too. We need our little indulgences now & again, don't we?? (Actually, more than now & again, I say. :whistle: )

One day, I shall pluck up the courage to visit the orchid grower, near here, & maybe buy one. Trouble would be choosing one as they seem to have a fairly large growing area & I would probably want more than one. :D PLUS I'd need to find the room to put it. :blush2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 8:10 pm

Well! the CookTown orchid , ie the dendrobium I have is not a very big one and when they are established as mine are still fairly unestablished due to me splitting it, they do not take up a large space. The flower bract is long and festooned with the beautiful orchids. Me thinks, they would love your climate ( they come from your part of the world) Cymbidiums are very large they would take up a lot of space but the Dendrobiums do not grow that big at all. Anyhow i do not want to push you in a direction you do not want to go
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 30 Jul 2010, 8:58 pm

Oh, it is not that I don't want to go there, Dawn, but we can barely get out through both patios as it is. :lol2: Now the Brazilian Walking irises are starting to grow more buds........................... :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 19 Aug 2010, 3:58 pm

Look what has thrown some buds! :smile:

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 19 Aug 2010, 4:11 pm

OMG, Dawn!!! That looks so promising!! :dance3: It looks fantastic!!! :dance:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 7:25 pm

The miniature Orchids have opened and this year I have had to bring them in as the wind and cold was damaging them. In bringing them in I have noticed they do have a very intense sweet fragrans, when in a closed environment. Which I never noticed when they were out side even if one went right up with the nose to a flower. :cool3:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 7:27 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:40 am