OUR IMAGES

My Orchids

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: My Orchids

Post by Joy on Tue 17 May 2011, 6:34 am

Do so hope you are right Dawn. :smile: Of course these orchids were, most likely, manipulated by the growers to meet the perceived needs of the market. :mad2: As you say they will need to settle down & develop their own rhythm, won't they?? :cool4:

Did someone ask for a :shaking head" smiley? :???: How's this one? Here is its opposite number, too.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 18 May 2011, 7:25 pm

Thank you! Joy , this one will be most useful.... both of them actually :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 18 May 2011, 9:15 pm

My pleasure, Dawn. :D :curtsy: :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

I received two new orchids as a gift a couple of months ago I think it was. The flowers have died off since but here is a photo or two of what they were like when flowering

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:55 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

A view from the back

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:57 pm

The first is obviously a Phaleanopsis and this one is a miniature Cattleya

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

Oh my, Dawn, they are both gorgeous orchids. :wow: Absolutely stunning. :love: The phalaenopsis is so striking & the cattleya is such a delicate, beautiful flower. I love them both.

Thank you for these :photos: . :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:04 am

This Orchid was sent to me by mail as a swap for another plant. It has been budding an orchid that has taken ages to actually come out. But here it is !.It is a baby plant so maybe that is why the flower is so small? I am not sure ?
    It is very small the size of one garlic flower maybe ?

Last edited by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:10 am

To be a bit more clear on what I meant the flower bud has been there for a long time... for a few months. I took the plant out to feed them when I came back from holiday and saw the little yellow "orchid" as it is supposed to be an orchid,looks just like a small buttercup. It appears that the one bud has dried up! maybe this happened when I was away?
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:11 am

Two of the small Phaleanopsis are flowering

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 6:13 am

The second one. This photo is blurred ( not sure what happened there ?)tomorrow I will take another and put it up.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

Dawn wrote:This Orchid was sent to me by mail as a swap for another plant. It has been budding an orchid that has taken ages to actually come out. But here it is !.It is a baby plant so maybe that is why the flower is so small? I am not sure ?
    It is very small the size of one garlic flower maybe ?

Maybe it is still practising how to flower, Dawn. :giggle: With your magic orchid hands it will do well. :cool3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

Dawn wrote:Two of the small Phaleanopsis are flowering

I am green with envy with both your phalaenopsis orchids flowering, Dawn. They are beautiful. :love: Ours aren't showing any signs of flowers as yet. :sad3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

Thanks Joy! It is only the two smaller varieties of Phals that are flowering Joy and they are late, the larger ones have already flowered. I am sure yours will pop up a flower soon or they are just settling from there move from the shop. The yellow Phal is not looking too great the one leaf has gone all twisted and spotty, I am hoping it is just dying off and not got some nasty fungus as it is sitting right next to all the others :apgn: Also my Cattleya's have not thrown any flowers :apgn: I have neglected them this past year with one thing and another happening! Oh well they did not die at least. That is not a very good photo of the new little yellow Orchid I must look up it's name again, I cannot for the life of me remember it. But it is in a hanging basket and to get close I kept bumping it, then would have to wait for it to steady itself again :roll:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

:lol2: My two phalaenopsis orchids are, at least, growing new leaves & do look quite healthy, at the moment. Nothing has happened though, with that root-like growth on one of them. It is just sitting there. :O

Do so hope your yellow one is ok, Dawn, & it is just an old leaf dying off. The second of my phalaenopsis, which has the large leaves, lost a leaf but it simply went yellow & dropped off.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

Yes that is what happens when the leaves are just dying naturally I think, it is the spots on mine that are worrying me!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:43 pm

Can certainly understand your concern, Dawn. Would it be possible to cut the problem leaf off &, maybe, limit any contagion if, indeed, it is an infection???
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 8:59 pm

Yes that's an option Joy! I just had another look it is three leaves that are affected, the others are not so bad as the one leaf. I have moved it away until I can deal with it, maybe I should cut them off , treat it and sprinkle cinnamon over the cut edges? Well this will be an experience or an experiment :lol2:.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:22 pm

This is a Vanda Testacea.

The flower has opened now, it is getting warm under the patio roof so maybe why it opened quite quickly. Yes it is only wee because the plant is small. This link from Wiki Orchids says that the flower should be 2.5 cm across.It also gives a nice photo of what it looks like when mature. I can barely see the little purple bit that is there but it is there :) It also says it is fragrant, but my little one has no fragrance at all, maybe too small to smell still :lol:

Vanda Testacea

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

This is a very pretty little orchid, Dawn. Here's hoping it will get bigger as it "grows up". :D Thanks for the info link, too. :cool3:

Psst, the staghorn fern is looking ok, as well. :)
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

Yes :) the staghorn is coming along really well thanks Joy!. It has a yellow leaf but i am leaving it to fall off of it's own accord. I think that was caused when we were away it never got much water and probably why the second orchid bud went black :(
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:45 am

Staghorns are made of tough stuff, Dawn, & should be used to going without water at times. After all, in nature, they have wet & dry seasons don't they?? The ones growing on trees seem to do ok. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 7:36 pm

Yes that is true Joy!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

:good: How is the little vanda coming along, Dawn?? :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

Great thanks Joy! it's still hanging in there, :) I see the other plant has thrown a shoot now ( he sent me two) they look identical but it maybe a different colour I still have to find out) how long this one will take to come to bloom is another story, as this yellow one took ages. I wish they were bigger plants, this one is so small you have to squint to see it and even recognise it is an orchid :lol2:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm