OUR IMAGES

My Orchids

Dawn

default Re: My Orchids

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 6:00 pm

my Dendrobiums are flowering again this is the third time, if I am correct! to flower in the last 12 months!

the last image is the smaller plant so the spike will be smaller

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 6:00 pm

Thanks Joy! :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 9:06 pm

:apgw: & a :drum: for your dendrobium flowers-to-come, Dawn. Fantastic!! :cool4: Three times in one year!! :cool3: I'd be happy if my phalaenopsises flowered just once a year. You do have a magic touch with orchids. :smile:

The flower of the oncidium "Twinkle" is so intricately beautiful. It must look great when having a mass bloom. Love it. :love:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 12:15 am

:smile: thank you Joy! .

I shall mention once again the mishap with repotting and *splitting* that plant. I am sure they are doing now what they are supposed to do in the first place before I fiddled with them. I think they have fully recovered the mistake of my mine and are established enough. It is a beautiful orchid plant to have as i have found that they are absolutely no trouble.

My Phalaenopsis Orchids have only flowered once a year. I think one did flower twice now can't exactly remember but, I think that is them.... only once a year. Yours will definitely flower. I want to make a prediction here. I think the bigger one of your two will definitely flower on cue, and I think the smaller one or the one you said had very little roots, I think it will flower but a bit later than the other one. Lets see if I am right :smile: If I end up wrong, no harm done.... but lets have some fun :apgch:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 7:44 am

Right, you are on, Dawn. :lol2: They are supposed to start growing their flower stem in autumn, which it is, allegedly, now. :whistle: I say allegedly because our weather is far from autumn-like. It will be quite a while yet before our night temps cool & I have heard they need cool nights to start their flowering cycle.

As both phalaenopsises were sold, flowering, in December I wonder how long it will take before they get settled back into their "normal" routine?? :think:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 12:40 am

The bracts are quite long this time round I saw a picture on the web of this variety Dendrobium it was one in Egypt in a Hotel Foyer It's bracts reached the floor from a stone pedestal. It was a large plant , I think mine have a long way to go before they get to this stage but it was nice to see how long they can get. Anyhow here are the flowers in full bloom.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:11 am

WOW :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:42 am

:wow: is right!!! They are magnificent, Dawn. :bravo: Such absolutely gorgeous flowers. :love: 'em!! Is there ten flowers on the left orchid?? :???:

One thing, though, what is that white stuff at the bottom of some of the stems??? Is it a "Dawn's Secret Magical Orchid Flowering Stuff"?? :??: :think: :think2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:26 pm

There are eleven on the left and seven on the right one Joy :) The white things you see at the base of most stems are just something that the stalks get it is like the fine onion skin one gets at the base of Shallots, they are dry! I have no idea whether they have a function of any sort , just there. Is that what you mean ? there are some little white things peeping over the pot edge they are roots. Thanks everyone!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:34 pm

ELEVEN!! :omg: So one of the flowers was hiding, eh?? They are amazing, Dawn.

Yes, the white stuff on the stems was what I was referring to. It looks as though they have been whitewashed. :lol2: A couple of stems are naked, though. :giggle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 6:04 pm

Yes the stems that are "naked" are new growth from this last year! I have noticed that new growth now means stems that grow larger than the largest old stem ( hope this makes sense) . So it is now growing *seriously*, phew! thank goodness it seems to have recovered after my splitting fiasco. Also I brought them in from the outside room, day before yesterday so that we can enjoy the flowers and noticed the little one that has been struggling has flowers coming soon too. Later I will post a picture.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:02 pm

Makes perfect sense, Dawn. It does show that the plant is getting more established. Your splitting of this plant definitely was not a fiasco as you now have two beautiful plants both with gorgeous flowers. You do seem to have optimal growing conditions for your orchids, plus your magic orchid thumb. :D They are all doing so well. :bravo:

I am green with envy & can only hope my orchids will do half as well. :apgn:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:03 pm

Yours are growing well Joy! you will see :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 9:23 am

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: At least they aren't showing signs of carking it, at the moment. Maybe it isn't cool enough inside, yet, for them to do anything. Still, as I said before, I am not expecting much from them this year.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:12 am

They are still looking fine and dandy, with no sign of dying off yet. Only place I can put them that is out of the way is up with the Ellies. :D

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:20 am

This is the third Dendrobium which finally threw up a stalk !:cheers:

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:23 am

The latest on the Oncidium/odont/western twinkle! It's still growing ...not that much, it but has got bigger.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 09 May 2011, 9:10 am

All of your orchids are doing so well, Dawn. :bravo: Hope some of this will rub off on to my phalaenopsis orchids. I doubt it. :roll:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 11 May 2011, 6:44 pm

Yes they do seem to be doing well thanks Joy!
    I noticed two of my Phaleanopsis have thrown flower stalks, they are still very small.. I will get a pic up as soon as I get out to the room :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 May 2011, 9:18 pm

Very good, O Dawn, The Magic Orchid Lady.

I only hope my phalaenopsis orchids get the message REAL soon!! :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 6:55 am

blush! no not orchid queen :donald:

They will Joy! they are probably settling into their new environment still ! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 9:45 am

Hope so, Dawn. At least their leaves are growing nicely. :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 6:10 pm

keeping my fingers crossed it will be soon :sun: :cool4:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 16 May 2011, 9:48 pm

Maybe they aren't getting enough light. :think: :think2: :sad3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 16 May 2011, 10:39 pm

no ... shakes head ( we need a little shaky head on here :) I personally don't think it is that I think they are just taking their own sweet time to settle ? Also as you said a while back ? I think you did anyway that the weather needs to cool slightly remember your weather is much warmer than ours. They have all showed up here after the cold snap we had, this is what it could be ! I am sure it won't be too long :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 17 May 2011, 6:34 am

Do so hope you are right Dawn. :smile: Of course these orchids were, most likely, manipulated by the growers to meet the perceived needs of the market. :mad2: As you say they will need to settle down & develop their own rhythm, won't they?? :cool4:

Did someone ask for a :shaking head" smiley? :???: How's this one? Here is its opposite number, too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:47 pm