OUR IMAGES

My Orchids

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: My Orchids

Post by Joy on Thu 23 Dec 2010, 8:56 pm

:lol2:

Guess what!?!? :???: Nelbel sent me a gift card which can be used at our favourite plant shop so we went & bought another phalaenopsis orchid. ;) Some pics tomorrow.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 12:18 am

Whoopee!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 10:56 am

:lol2: I have started a new topic for it, Dawn. :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 3:35 pm

I going there now to have a look at this new baby
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 24 Dec 2010, 3:58 pm

Thought I may as well boost the topic count. :donald:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Dec 2010, 6:02 am

me too ! hee hee
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 26 Dec 2010, 8:29 am

It has opened another flower. :cool2: :cool: :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 26 Dec 2010, 9:33 am

What are you feeding these plants Joy they are super bloomers
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 26 Dec 2010, 11:22 am

:lol2: Nothing yet, Dawn, though I have bought some special orchid fertiliser. :whistle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 28 Dec 2010, 2:18 am

That's good Joy! :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 28 Dec 2010, 9:38 am

There is also an orchid bloom booster which I shall get next time we are at that store. The one I have, at the moment, is a "specific orchid fertiliser for use all year round". All I shall have to do is figure out when to use the other one. :whistle: :lol2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Fri 21 Jan 2011, 7:05 pm

I have just recently found out that Dendrobium Kingianus have several species I think this is the correct way to say this. Mine is just one of many. I have found a lovely link with some interesting info. They are now called Thelychiton kingianus

Link to this orchid

I cannot find a better image in my photos just yet of my Dk or Thelychiton kingianus as they are now known. But I will post one when I find it

:smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 21 Jan 2011, 9:50 pm

Cannot get over just how many flowers, your orchid was going to have, in that image, Dawn. Thank you for that link. It has many good growing tips & advice, which would, I imagine, be pertinent to most orchids. :cool3:

These orchids would, most definitely, be growing in Bundjalung National Park, which is our village's southern boundary. Not that I am about to go looking for them, because of snakes!!! :omg:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 22 Jan 2011, 6:15 am

Yes I understand I wouldn't want to trail in a snake haven either :smile: Yes Joy ! this was the most it has given me to date in this image here. I was really chuffed at this lot :apgch:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 22 Jan 2011, 2:55 pm

It certainly looked lovely & healthy, Dawn. You are our orchid whiz, par excellence!! :bravo: :cool4: :cool: :sun:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 22 Jan 2011, 4:58 pm

I have found a person up north who has more varieties of this orchid, they travel well so when I manage to get some more will post them on here :apgch: I am going to have a bash at mounting a few on to drift wood. They are lithophtic so I will have a bash :apgch: you never know I might just succeed?? :drum: :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 22 Jan 2011, 5:38 pm

As this species does grow, naturally, on rocks &, sometimes on logs, they should do fine on driftwood, shouldn't they, Dawn?? Seems as though humidity is the key element for these orchids &, I'd imagine, for most other species of orchid, as well. Yours must have a top environment as they do so well. :bravo: :luck: on getting some more, too. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 24 Jan 2011, 4:48 pm

Yes you are absolutely right Joy one would have to spray it everyday or so. Moisture would be the key when mounting as far I can see from what I have read too. If I take a little piece from my big plant, then if it does not work out at least I tried and no damage or much loss done. I should imagine in your atmosphere you would have no problem humidity wise! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 24 Jan 2011, 5:26 pm

You are correct there, Dawn. :lol2: Thought it felt rather dry today but when I had a look at the meter in the Bat Cave it was 59%. Still that is fairly low for us.

It is good that you do have a decent sized plant from which to take a piece for your :experiment". :good: As I mentioned, (I think :lol: ) I did see beautiful, dainty orchids growing on slabs of wood, secured to the trunks of trees, in the Singapore Botanic Gardens. :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 4:39 pm

Wow your orchids are beautiful too Dawn!

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 7:53 pm

:cool3: Thanks Glad :thanks:

Sharing photos is a pleasure not so ! :good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:35 pm

These are the orchids I spoke of a few posts up from here. They actually were lost in the post for a while and I had no hope of them recovering. They arrived at an inconvenient time as well. So I resorted to just putting them into the Stag hoen hanging basket. The leaves looked a bit soft and floppy when I took them out the box, but... a few weeks later and look!....new leaves. These are the Vanda testacea, the person who sent them to me said they were rare ? I am pleased they seem to like where I have put them. I have also managed to find some Sphagnum moss at last, so I will be able to mount now.

a picture of the flower
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:38 pm

As you can see this one did not like the deayed mail journey but see the new leaf !

This one is an Oncidium/odont/western twinkle

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

Wow, Dawn!! You are, truly, the Orchid Lady Par Excellence!! :bravo: How wonderful for you that they have recovered so well. :excited: :cool3:

Guess postal delays are one of the drawbacks of buying plants by mail order but it does appear that you did the right thing with them. Many orchids would have similar growing requirements as staghorn ferns, I'd imagine & the new leaf on the oncidium augurs well for that plant also. The flower of the Vanda testacea is gorgeous. :love:

Congratulations, again, Dawn!!! :happy: :apgw: :drum: :dance: :bear: :sun: :clap:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

Dawn wrote:As you can see this one did not like the deayed mail journey but see the new leaf !

This one is an Oncidium/odont/western twinkle

this is a link to what I think it is
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 6:00 pm

my Dendrobiums are flowering again this is the third time, if I am correct! to flower in the last 12 months!

the last image is the smaller plant so the spike will be smaller

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm