OUR IMAGES

My Orchids

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: My Orchids

Post by Joy on Sat 22 Jan 2011, 5:38 pm

As this species does grow, naturally, on rocks &, sometimes on logs, they should do fine on driftwood, shouldn't they, Dawn?? Seems as though humidity is the key element for these orchids &, I'd imagine, for most other species of orchid, as well. Yours must have a top environment as they do so well. :bravo: :luck: on getting some more, too. :cool4:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 24 Jan 2011, 4:48 pm

Yes you are absolutely right Joy one would have to spray it everyday or so. Moisture would be the key when mounting as far I can see from what I have read too. If I take a little piece from my big plant, then if it does not work out at least I tried and no damage or much loss done. I should imagine in your atmosphere you would have no problem humidity wise! :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 24 Jan 2011, 5:26 pm

You are correct there, Dawn. :lol2: Thought it felt rather dry today but when I had a look at the meter in the Bat Cave it was 59%. Still that is fairly low for us.

It is good that you do have a decent sized plant from which to take a piece for your :experiment". :good: As I mentioned, (I think :lol: ) I did see beautiful, dainty orchids growing on slabs of wood, secured to the trunks of trees, in the Singapore Botanic Gardens. :smile:
    Glad E Olah

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 4:39 pm

Wow your orchids are beautiful too Dawn!

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 7:53 pm

:cool3: Thanks Glad :thanks:

Sharing photos is a pleasure not so ! :good:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:35 pm

These are the orchids I spoke of a few posts up from here. They actually were lost in the post for a while and I had no hope of them recovering. They arrived at an inconvenient time as well. So I resorted to just putting them into the Stag hoen hanging basket. The leaves looked a bit soft and floppy when I took them out the box, but... a few weeks later and look!....new leaves. These are the Vanda testacea, the person who sent them to me said they were rare ? I am pleased they seem to like where I have put them. I have also managed to find some Sphagnum moss at last, so I will be able to mount now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:38 pm

As you can see this one did not like the deayed mail journey but see the new leaf !

This one is an Oncidium/odont/western twinkle

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

Wow, Dawn!! You are, truly, the Orchid Lady Par Excellence!! :bravo: How wonderful for you that they have recovered so well. :excited: :cool3:

Guess postal delays are one of the drawbacks of buying plants by mail order but it does appear that you did the right thing with them. Many orchids would have similar growing requirements as staghorn ferns, I'd imagine & the new leaf on the oncidium augurs well for that plant also. The flower of the Vanda testacea is gorgeous. :love:

Congratulations, again, Dawn!!! :happy: :apgw: :drum: :dance: :bear: :sun: :clap:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

Dawn wrote:As you can see this one did not like the deayed mail journey but see the new leaf !

This one is an Oncidium/odont/western twinkle

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 6:00 pm

my Dendrobiums are flowering again this is the third time, if I am correct! to flower in the last 12 months!

the last image is the smaller plant so the spike will be smaller

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 6:00 pm

Thanks Joy! :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Mar 2011, 9:06 pm

:apgw: & a :drum: for your dendrobium flowers-to-come, Dawn. Fantastic!! :cool4: Three times in one year!! :cool3: I'd be happy if my phalaenopsises flowered just once a year. You do have a magic touch with orchids. :smile:

The flower of the oncidium "Twinkle" is so intricately beautiful. It must look great when having a mass bloom. Love it. :love:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 12:15 am

:smile: thank you Joy! .

I shall mention once again the mishap with repotting and *splitting* that plant. I am sure they are doing now what they are supposed to do in the first place before I fiddled with them. I think they have fully recovered the mistake of my mine and are established enough. It is a beautiful orchid plant to have as i have found that they are absolutely no trouble.

My Phalaenopsis Orchids have only flowered once a year. I think one did flower twice now can't exactly remember but, I think that is them.... only once a year. Yours will definitely flower. I want to make a prediction here. I think the bigger one of your two will definitely flower on cue, and I think the smaller one or the one you said had very little roots, I think it will flower but a bit later than the other one. Lets see if I am right :smile: If I end up wrong, no harm done.... but lets have some fun :apgch:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 7:44 am

Right, you are on, Dawn. :lol2: They are supposed to start growing their flower stem in autumn, which it is, allegedly, now. :whistle: I say allegedly because our weather is far from autumn-like. It will be quite a while yet before our night temps cool & I have heard they need cool nights to start their flowering cycle.

As both phalaenopsises were sold, flowering, in December I wonder how long it will take before they get settled back into their "normal" routine?? :think:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 12:40 am

The bracts are quite long this time round I saw a picture on the web of this variety Dendrobium it was one in Egypt in a Hotel Foyer It's bracts reached the floor from a stone pedestal. It was a large plant , I think mine have a long way to go before they get to this stage but it was nice to see how long they can get. Anyhow here are the flowers in full bloom.

Bruce

Post by Bruce on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:11 am

WOW :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:42 am

:wow: is right!!! They are magnificent, Dawn. :bravo: Such absolutely gorgeous flowers. :love: 'em!! Is there ten flowers on the left orchid?? :???:

One thing, though, what is that white stuff at the bottom of some of the stems??? Is it a "Dawn's Secret Magical Orchid Flowering Stuff"?? :??: :think: :think2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:26 pm

There are eleven on the left and seven on the right one Joy :) The white things you see at the base of most stems are just something that the stalks get it is like the fine onion skin one gets at the base of Shallots, they are dry! I have no idea whether they have a function of any sort , just there. Is that what you mean ? there are some little white things peeping over the pot edge they are roots. Thanks everyone!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:34 pm

ELEVEN!! :omg: So one of the flowers was hiding, eh?? They are amazing, Dawn.

Yes, the white stuff on the stems was what I was referring to. It looks as though they have been whitewashed. :lol2: A couple of stems are naked, though. :giggle:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 6:04 pm

Yes the stems that are "naked" are new growth from this last year! I have noticed that new growth now means stems that grow larger than the largest old stem ( hope this makes sense) . So it is now growing *seriously*, phew! thank goodness it seems to have recovered after my splitting fiasco. Also I brought them in from the outside room, day before yesterday so that we can enjoy the flowers and noticed the little one that has been struggling has flowers coming soon too. Later I will post a picture.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:02 pm

Makes perfect sense, Dawn. It does show that the plant is getting more established. Your splitting of this plant definitely was not a fiasco as you now have two beautiful plants both with gorgeous flowers. You do seem to have optimal growing conditions for your orchids, plus your magic orchid thumb. :D They are all doing so well. :bravo:

I am green with envy & can only hope my orchids will do half as well. :apgn:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:03 pm

Yours are growing well Joy! you will see :)
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 9:23 am

Thanks, Dawn. :smile: At least they aren't showing signs of carking it, at the moment. Maybe it isn't cool enough inside, yet, for them to do anything. Still, as I said before, I am not expecting much from them this year.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:12 am

They are still looking fine and dandy, with no sign of dying off yet. Only place I can put them that is out of the way is up with the Ellies. :D

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 09 May 2011, 7:20 am

This is the third Dendrobium which finally threw up a stalk !:cheers:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:50 am