OUR IMAGES

Keith & Leslie's Place

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Keith & Leslie's Place

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:39 am

Keith is Bruiser's brother & Leslie is Keith's wife. They have a sugarcane/soybean/dryland rice farm about 15 or so kilometres inland from where we live, & we are lucky enough to be able to obtain rainwater for our plants from their rainwater tank. Yesterday we went out there to get some & I took the opportunity to take some more pics of their dam & surrounding grounds. Previous images can be seen here. Water Lilies On A Dam

Didn't manage to capture any of their normal wildlife but they were there. I was just too slow or could not find them. There were no waterbirds or ducks on the dam at this time, unfortunately. The water lilies were flowering & the lotus or nymphaea caerulea flowers were also on show.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: Keith & Leslie's Place

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:41 am

Another angle.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

Looking toward the upper reaches of the dam.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:50 am

The tall blue flowers are the blue lotus or nymphaea caerulea .

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:52 am

That is sugarcane growing in the background.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:53 am

As you may notice, I rather like these water plants.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:55 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:57 am

Wish I knew the name of these small white flowers.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

Do not know the name of this beautiful tree. Keith planted most of the trees on his property.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

The dam is shaped rather like a boomerang & this is the end seen when you arrive at Keith & Leslie's place.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:03 am

Looking toward the bend of the boomerang.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:06 am

Looking out at a neighbour's soybean crop. The plants are still very small.

The grounds & trees are on Keith & Leslie's property. There are very few fences around here.

Closer view.

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

This beautiful, old, huge Moreton Bay fig tree was already here on the property when Keith & Leslie bought it. It looks absolutely stunning now.

Keith planted these clumps of bamboo. There are more of them out of range of the camera. They were going to be sold but he has decided to leave them there as a windbreak for their home. The edges of his sugarcane paddocks can be seen between the bamboo.

Clumps of bamboo, like these, are popular in this area as a source of both fodder & shelter for cattle. Those ones look like large mushrooms as the cows have eaten the lower branches. Keith's haven't been munched so still have the natural shape.

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:36 pm

Gosh it is a stunning property Joy! these photos show it off very well too. They are extremely lucky to be living out there ! I agree I have a penchant for those water lilies too. So many as well :good: , here they cost a fortune for one plant :O . I bought one when I tried to make myself a pot pond a while ago it did not work out, so no longer have them. You are so lucky to be able to visit too. Is it a man made Dam Joy!
    If it was mid day maybe it was too hot for the wildlife to be out, maybe they were sheltering from the heat of the day. Those trees are stunning Joy! it would be nice to know what that one tree is called it has beautiful foliage. The Moreton Bay is massive and beautiful. What would we do without trees, you just gotta love them. Joy how do you put the copyright sign on your pics?

Thank you for sharing these photos Joy! I can imagine the atmosphere there while looking at them. Thanks again ! :thanks:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

Thanks, Dawn. :D We were actually there in the mid-morning & did see a water monitor in the distance. Or, rather, Bruiser did. :lol3: Think the birdlife was off elsewhere, doing bird stuff, & the tawny frogmouths snooze during the day. I was just glad I didn't see a snake. :omg:

Yes it is a man-made dam. The dirt that was removed was used to make a hill, on which the house was built, as the area is a floodplain. There was a huge amount of soil shifted. I cannot believe how much everything has grown. The water lilies & lotus plants arrived from elsewhere, courtesy of flood waters. :whistle:

The copyright on my pics is done as a watermark in Picasa3 & is placed on the pics when they are uploaded to my Picasa web albums. Click on Tools up on the top left hand of the Picasa3 page then Options, then Web Albums (I think, as we now have the latest version of Picasa3 & it is now called Google + Photos). There you will see Watermarks, tick the box to enable you to type whatever wording you want to be put, as a watermark, on all your pics. I use Windows Character Map for the ©. :cool3:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:14 pm

Wow can believe the amount of soil that was shifted :O must have been one huge project phew!

Thanks Joy! for the run down on the water mark, where would I find the windows character map ?. I am useless at guessing :blush: :blush2:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:45 pm

Thanks Joy I found it!!. Can't believe it I found it myself :lol3:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

Good for you, Dawn. :cool3: I never took much notice of the Character Map at first, but now I use it frequently. Would be lost without it now. :yes: :lol2:

Oh, by the way, don't forget to click OK when you have finished typing your watermark, Dawn. It is all too easy to overlook this & it won't work unless you do that. :smile:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:31 pm

Thanks Joy! I got it to work, I must have pressed ok as I just uploaded some pics and they had the mark on :) Thanks very much again :smile:
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 6:49 am

You are very welcome, Dawn. :smile:

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm