OUR IMAGES

My Orchids

Dawn

default My Orchids

Post by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 6:50 am

This my Dendrobium Orchid. These photos were taken around April. I have had them for a few years. I erroneously split the plant too early, making three out of the original stock and expected a disaster. But they just carried on growing and flowered not too long afterwards. I think they must like the spot they are in.

Last edited by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

default Re: My Orchids

Post by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 6:52 am

Another photo of the two that flowered in April
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 6:54 am

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 7:05 am

I have two Sobralia Macrantha, aka Bamboo Orchids. These photos were taken last summer.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 7:12 am

This is one of two phaleanopsis orchids I have. The other one is pink. This year they have not done too well. Unfortunately the pink one was knocked over and I think it suffered a bit of damage I am hoping it will pick up a little.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 9:31 am

Such beautiful flowers, Dawn. Your orchids have rewarded you for all your hard work. Many thanks for showing us your gorgeous flowers, of which you should be very proud. I would think myself a great success if I could get just one to flower. :lol: The dendrobiums definitely do like the spot they are in. Luckily, I do not have ANY room for orchids, as our favourite plant retailer frequently has some wonderful looking orchids for sale.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 7:29 pm

Thanks Joy! I love it when they flower. Here is a photo of a terrestrial orchid I have. It flowered earlier this year. I still do not know what it is called??
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 7:31 pm

A closer look at the flower
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 8:51 pm

What a beautiful tiny orchid that is in the last pic, Dawn. All your orchids are so lovely & delicate. They are gorgeous.

Many years ago, while in Singapore, we were taken to the Orchid Gardens at the Singapore Botanic Gardens. The orchids were exquisite, as you can imagine, with the orchid being their national flower. Wasn't that much into plants at that stage (:lol:) but do remember a very tiny, beautiful orchid that was named Ballet Dancer (or something like that) & it most certainly did look exactly like a little ballerina. One piece of info I do remember, from that visit, was the different ways of growing orchids, such as terrestrial, epiphytic etc. Some were even growing on boards which were hanging from trees, if my memory serves me correctly. :oops:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Wed 18 Nov 2009, 8:01 pm

How lucky to have been able to visit Singapore, it has been one of my dreams. It is one part of the east that I have a great fascination for, especially the plant life they have there!. I would have loved to have seen the ballerina orchid.
    The little terrestrial orchid flowers lasted for ages. My plant was a slip that came from my sisters original plant. Her flowers have a lovely deep scent to them, but I never noticed much scent from mine at all?? But mine had more flowers than hers did this year
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 18 Nov 2009, 8:56 pm

Singapore was, surprisingly, a very interesting place, Dawn. You would love it, I think. Initially, I thought it would be a very sterile, bland city with no real spirit, of the sort that makes a city what it is, but it isn't like that. It has a very well cared for feel about it, well when I was there it did & I can't imagine things would have changed that much. There are some beautiful gardens, apart from the Botanical Gardens. It is all very tropical, too.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:46 pm

Joybells wrote:Singapore was, surprisingly, a very interesting place, Dawn. You would love it, I think. Initially, I thought it would be a very sterile, bland city with no real spirit, of the sort that makes a city what it is, but it isn't like that. It has a very well cared for feel about it, well when I was there it did & I can't imagine things would have changed that much. There are some beautiful gardens, apart from the Botanical Gardens. It is all very tropical, too.

I am sure I would love it! Yes other people have said that to me as well . You never know maybe one day
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:49 pm

My Bamboo Orchids have started to flower, within the space of two hours yesterday the buds swelled and all sort of appeared. Later into the evening about 6 oclock pm they had started to open

Last edited by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:50 pm

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:51 pm

Buds
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 9:53 pm

You can see how the creases in the bottom petal still have to spread and flatten a bit more
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 10:02 pm

What beautiful orchids, Dawn. They are gorgeous. You must have quite a collection, now. Their leaves look a little like our dracaena "Lucky Bamboo", too.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Tue 15 Dec 2009, 5:42 am

Thanks Joy!
    It is so nice to be able to post some flower photos

Yes! they do look like the Lucky bamboo leaves, I agree. When I look at them out of the flowering season they look 'just' like a bamboo plant. The stalk as well, just much thinner. The thing I find exciting about these orchids are their size they are as long and wide as an outstretched medium hand. The biggest orchid I have ever seen in reality. I love it!
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Tue 15 Dec 2009, 8:22 am

That is a large orchid flower, Dawn & it is such a beautiful colour, too. You deserve your orchid successes after all the effort you have put into growing them. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sun 20 Dec 2009, 2:39 am

Here is a photo of five of the bamboo orchid flowers. There are currently twelve on the two bushes combined, but the first to come out are now dying off.
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sun 20 Dec 2009, 8:31 am

That is a wonderful orchid, Dawn. Not only does have several beautiful flowers at once but it has very attractive foliage. It is such a pretty colour, too.
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 22 May 2010, 9:29 am

This is the phaleanopsis I got given on Mothers day as a gift

Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 22 May 2010, 9:31 am

The flower spike is very long and the flower quite big

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Sat 22 May 2010, 10:00 am

That is a beautiful orchid with an exquisite "centrepiece", Dawn. :love: Am so very glad you were able to post these images. :D The stem certainly is long & can see why it needed support to be able to hold up such a large flower. Are there a couple of buds I can see to the left??? The leaves do look green & healthy. What a great gift!!! :excited: :apgw:
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Sat 22 May 2010, 6:00 pm

Thanks Joy! yes some more little buds popped up, and the flower is from the second original existing bud.
    I think you remember my other two Phaleanopsis ( smaller variety) well I still have them but they have not flowered, yet they could still flower, but they are more erratic than the dendrobiums at flowering they need to reach certain conditions and this year nothing, but I have had those coming up for nearly 4 yrs now and this is the first season for them not to give any buds. Last years ones were not great but I did get some flowers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm