Chapel

The gardens.

Bee hives
    Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

default Re: The ruins of an old Cretan settlement

Post by Joy on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:39 am

Great pictures, BigBilly. :D Many thanks for showing them to us, it is very much appreciated. I do love seeing images of places I will, most likely, never get to visit.

What is amazing is how quickly such places deteriorate once they are abandoned, especially when they are constructed of stone. Can see how the ceilings could deteriorate readily, being made of wood & it is good to see they are still in place.

That certainly does look to be an oven, possibly for making bread, perhaps. Wonder what was in those empty niches on the walls at the water supply area??

There must be plenty of flowers around for there to be so many beehives, though it does look very harsh country. Wonder what their honey tastes like. :D Could see plenty of olive trees in your pics. The veggie gardens look ready for more plantings, too. It would not be easy to grow stuff in such terrain & the locals are to be admired for their resoursefulness.

Thank you again for posting these wonderful pics, BB. Love them.
    Dawn

default Re: The ruins of an old Cretan settlement

Post by Dawn on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

:photos: BB. Old buildings like these in stone always leave me amazed at the masonry work done way back when. Life was hard enough and to think they took the time carving in friezes etc into the various bits of stone to make them pleasing to the eye as well as functional, leaves me with a certain respect for those builders. :thanks: for the photos!

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:39 am