OUR IMAGES

Gardening in the mountains

default Gardening in the mountains

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:49 am

I sometimes complain about my garden but its much harder in the mountains of Crete

default Re: Gardening in the mountains

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:54 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

My word, it certainly would take a great deal of effort to make a veggie garden in these mountains of Crete, wouldn't it, BigBilly. First of all, they had to create the space &, by the looks of it, it wasn't an easy job. Then there is the water problem but I see the hoses which would now make it a little less back-breaking to get water to the plants. Then the fences which, I presume, are to keep the ever-hungry goats out of the garden. :lol3: Did notice some dried up, dead tendrils twining up the fence so they must grow some beans there at times. Is it mostly broccoli they are growing when these pics were taken??

These veggie gardens are a credit to the tenacity of the people living in the region as it is such arid & harsh countryside. Thanks for these images, BB. It is good to see how people elsewhere grow stuff.

default Plants round the houses.

Post by Guest on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:54 am

Joy
    F O U N D E R
    F O U N D E R

Post by Joy on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:49 am

It is great to see such beautiful flowers growing in such a harsh environment, BigBilly. Boy, though, the second cactus has some very lethal looking needle-like spines. Imagine falling into one after drinking too much retsina. Then again, if that happened, the victim probably wouldn't care. :lol: The first cactus looks like prickly pear though it looks to be thornless.

Many thanks for posting these wonderful pics, BB, & showing us how such lovely & colourful flowers can grow so profusely, even in a dry climate. :D
    Dawn

Post by Dawn on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

It is amazing to think all those lovely veg have been grown under what looks like such harsh and very dry conditions. That pumpkin or squash is gi-normous and all look so healthy.

Also a very nice splash of colour with all those flowers BBilly. Do you know if they simply rely on rains or do they have any irrigation systems in place ! I wonder what kind of soil they contend with?. I am wondering if it is volcanic at all? thanks for the photos BB it is very interesting to see!

Post by Guest on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:29 am

You are right about the soil Dawn, volcanic. Yes they do water the veggies and also the small flowers close to the houses.
    Our friends use all the grey water from their house in the garden, but there are
    miles and miles of black alkathene irrigation pipes out among the olive groves.

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul 2017, 12:31 pm